Last Sunday, Fran and I, Michael and Richard took the Turntable Ladder and a car-full of exhibits to the event at Sheffield Cathedral.
We set off really well, with the vehicle going like a train, averaging 30+mph, until we were within 15
miles of Sheffield. Then the trouble began. There was a complete loss of power, which I put down to running out of petrol, so put another 2 gallons in from a can. Got going, then same again. Fuel blockage. Checked the lines, and it seemed clear. We ran a bit further and stopped on the M1 roundabout. A very kind woman pulled up and handed us a Hi-Vis jacket. We then pulled forward into the forecourt of Anston Fire Station. A great place to break down – the firefighters gave us tea, offered toast, and somewhere dry to look at the vehicle. I cleared some dirt out of the filter, while Richard and Michael went ahead and set up a display. We got going, and only stopped once more on the way to clean out the filter again.
It was a truly magnificent event, where we met our friends Ian and Rob from 39-45 Allied
Group, UK Homefront, who were manning an ARP rest centre, Roger and Dianne from Birddog, and a number of other groups and reenactors, together with music and George Formby.
In the event, partly because of other commitments, and the atrocious weather, we decided to miss the event at The Moor Market in the evening, which we a pity. They showed the same file as was screened 75 years ago, and had sirens and searchlights, and a fire engine from the Emergency Services Museum.
We were allowed to park overnight in the Eyre Street Central Fire Station, thanks to South Yorks Fire and Rescue. Before returning, I fitted an extra fuel filter, to make sure nothing blocked the small metal filter.
Oh dear, the journey home from Sheffield on Sunday afternoon was more eventful than hoped. Engine ran well until we ran out of petrol, but it didn’t self prime after filling from cans. Sorted in a few minutes, but the big problem came when the headlights shorted out and filled the cab with smoke. Luckily only a small bit of wire smoked, not the whole loom. Although I managed to isolate the short, and rig dipped headlights to come on with the ignition, Autohome Assistance recommended recovery, which arrived around 7pm, and we were all home by 8:30pm. Thank you Autohome.