First Registered: November 1942, to London County Council
Past History: New to the National Fire Service, then used by Holland County Fire Brigade around Teeside until purchased by Perren Engineering Ltd in 1970. Around then, the roof was lowered. It was sold again in 1973 to a the father of Neil Sillito for 10 pounds, who called it Betsy. There is a photo of it in this condition here. Later, it was painted grey and the roof restored to its original height. It spent a number of years in Huddersfield (during which it did the HCVS Pennine run a number of times). We bought it on ebay in 2009.
Owned: jointly by David Moore and John Sutcliffe.
Recent work: Completely rewired. New window surrounds, welding to front offside wing and nearside rear mudguard. Front brake cylinders cleaned and honed, new front brake shoes. Started to replace brake pipes and found they were already copper! On way home from Burton on Trent in July 2011, it blew the head gasket – water in 3 cylinders. Luckily, a new gasket was on the shelf.
- Photos from the Severn Valley Railway July 6, 2017 We have been sent some magnificent photos from a professional photographer, Phil Lea, who was with us on the second weekend. In case you missed the previous post, we are very grateful to Mr Matthews for shooting this video. Share this:FacebookMoreTwitterGooglePinterestPrintEmail
- Air Raid at Severn Valley Railway July 5, 2017 We are back from a superb couple of weekends at the Severn Valley Railway, where we ran an air raid n each of the 4 days, each day getting slightly more spectacular than the last. We are very grateful to Mr Matthews for shooting this video. Share this:FacebookMoreTwitterGooglePinterestPrintEmail
- Air raid at Quorn Station, 3rd, 4th June 1942 (2017) May 28, 2017 The display will be at 1:00 pm on Saturday and Sunday in Quorn Yard in the space between the Goods Shed and Marquee. Quorn and Woodhouse Station, Woodhouse Road, LE12 8AG. A lone German bomber attacks a train parked in the siding at Quorn being unloaded. The train has a box van of explosives being unloaded by railway ...
- Photos from Papplewick Pumping Station October 29, 2016 A small group took the K2 and Dennis pump, together with a Beresford Stork pump, and the Mobile Canteen. We informed the public about the dangers of the incendiary bomb, and then demonstrated the power of the pumps, running a fairly substantial hand-held branch with two ground monitors, both with 1 1/8″ nozzles. With thanks to ...
- Air Raid at Quorn Station, GCR 4th-5th June 2016 – instructions for reenactors May 20, 2016 The display will be at 1:10pm on Saturday and Sunday in Quorn Yard in the space between the Goods Shed and Marquee. Quorn and Woodhouse Station, Woodhouse Road, LE12 8AG. The detail of the scenario is here. Please look at the GCR Wartime Weekend website here. We are planning to take the Dodge Mobile Dam as the main vehicle ...
- Plans for a significant air raid at Quorn GCR, 3rd-5th June 2016 February 5, 2016 The display will be at 1:10pm on Saturday and Sunday in Quorn Yard in the space between the Goods Shed and Marquee. Quorn and Woodhouse Station, Woodhouse Road, LE12 8AG. The storyline is this: A number of wagons have been delivered to Quorn Yard the previous day, and are standing on the siding between the signalbox and the ...
- UXB On the Home Front at Rufford Abbey 26-27 Sept 2015 September 21, 2015 ARP wardens and Police are keeping the crowds back from the UXB in the middle of the Long Meadow. One ARP warden in the raid was sure she saw three bombs fall, but only heard two explosions, and after a search, the third bomb was found. Remarkably, it had come down on a very low ...
- Air Raid On the Home Front at Rufford Abbey 26-27 Sept 2015 September 21, 2015 People are going about their business – police arresting spivs, civilians coming and going. There is a special event on in Rufford Abbey that a lot of people are present at. The air raid siren sounds, and people look round for the approaching bombers. Civilians are ushered into the shelters. Perhaps a few into the undercroft, ...
- Newark Emergency Services Heritage Show 4-5 July July 1, 2015 We are down to do a Wartime NFS display at 12:00 and a Cold War AFS display at 15:30 on Saturday, but on Sunday the times are AFS at 10:00 and NFS immediately following at 10:40. We also hope to take part in the vehicle parade (11:10 Sat, 15:00 Sun) and put our TL in ...
- Papplewick 2014 photos October 25, 2014 We took a small crew and the Turntable Ladder, and the K2 and a pump. The TL was demonstrated, but without water, as it was a bit breezy on Saturday. On Sunday, the wind got up and we were not able to do anything with the TL. We also had the mobile canteen, which was ...
- 25/10 - Papplewick 2014 photos
- 26/09 - Rufford Abbey Air Raid timeline
- 08/08 - Retford War weekend, 9-10 August
- 21/07 - Air Raid at Woodhall Spa
- 26/04 - Rufford Historical Bazaar
- 18/10 - Papplewick this weekend
- 30/09 - New Cab Floor for Katie
- 02/09 - Rufford Air Raid video
- 31/08 - Successful Air Raid at Rufford
- 25/07 - More photos from Kelham Island
- 07/07 - Recent Events
- 07/07 - Derby Fire Show
- 20/08 - RAF Cranwell Fly-in Day
- 19/08 - New photos of Crich
- 14/08 - Sunday at Crich
- 11/08 - Crich 1940s today
- 08/07 - More Staveley Photos
- 02/07 - Clumber photos by Mick Hill
- 26/06 - Nice photos of Rufford last year
- 18/06 - Wartime Clumber this weekend