Crew Cab fitted to Austin K4

Having spent weeks preparing he crew cab for the K4, today, we hoisted it onto the body. The fly in the ointment was that the engine wouldn’t start. Despite fitting electronic ignition, that had a small issue that I think we have sorted. So we tried to tow it out with a modern van. But the van couldn’t even move itself through the snow, let alone tow 7 tons of fire engine. So out came the Goddess, and in 4WD Low ratio, it didn’t even notice the snow, let alone the K4. Useful piece of kit.

Anyway, we then used the ladder itself as a crane, and hoisted the crew cab into position. Now it just needs bolting down, and a bit more grey paint.

About lowdhamstation

I am a director of a small (and very technical) business, a committed Christian, a Reader (and preacher) in my local village church, husband to my dear Frances, am interested in heritage railways, and heritage fire engines. I currently run a group that displays wartime and early post-war fire engines at 1940s re-enacting events and steam engine rallies. O yes, and vintage cars and motorbikes, and we live in a Victorian railway station.
This entry was posted in K4 TL GXN215, Workshop and Restoration. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply