Some of you will remember that the Goddess has been out-of-commission since the Welland Steam Rally, following an unsuccessful ‘tractor pull’, dragging a 17-ton sled with all four wheels spinning. This ended in the diff being trashed, and the vehicle returning on a low loader.
A replacement axle was found, and delivered to the farm. That has been stripped and painted, and today was fitted. It involved disconnecting the brakes, and then:
- jack up the vehicle, and put axle stands underneath the chassis
- jack up the axle and remove the wheels
- remove the jacks under the axle, and lower the vehicle on the stands
- remove the U-bolts, and lower the axle onto wooden blocks
- raise the vehicle on the stands a few inches
- roll out the old axle, and roll in the new one
- jack the new axle into place, and line up and fit the U-bolts
- jack up the axle, and put extra stands under it
- fit the brake expanders, cylinders etc
That is as far as we have got today. But we found that one expander housing is scrap, so need to recover the one off the old axle, and complete the brake fittings, hand-brake linkage, brake bleeding, and finally jack it up, put on the wheels and remove the stands. Simples. Hope to have that done by lunchtime tomorrow.