Progress on the K4 Crew Cab

Today Alison and Hugh and I did some rot removal on the Crew Cab. Seems that a new piece of ash is required for one of the upright frame pieces, together with a few other bits. Some of the old floor can be re-used here.

We found some bad corrosion underneath the trim strips that reinforced the sheet steel of the cab – it looks like most of these will need removing and replacing.

We found a pair of brackets on the front wall, about 6″ from the roof, with the remains of a leather belt that obviously secured some equipment there. It must have been firefighting equipment because the leather belt has a lovely quick-release buckle. Possibly a BA set – any ideas? [Dave Needham and others suggest this is where a rescue line would be stored]

We will probably wait till John is back next week (?) to help test-fit the cab, probably using the ladder itself as a crane jib.

Alison has made some superb new leather straps for the stirrup pumps, and is working on new leather straps for the K2 rear doors. See www.alisonandhughshandmadethings.co.uk for more examples of their fine work.

About lowdhamstation

I am a director of a small (and very technical) business, a committed Christian, a Reader (and preacher) in my local village church, husband to my dear Frances, am interested in heritage railways, and heritage fire engines. I currently run a group that displays wartime and early post-war fire engines at 1940s re-enacting events and steam engine rallies. O yes, and vintage cars and motorbikes, and we live in a Victorian railway station.
This entry was posted in K4 TL GXN215, Workshop and Restoration and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.